One of the most popular searches on InternationalStudent.com is how to obtain a scholarship or where to look for one. In short, the answer to all scholarship questions is unless you take the time and energy to look for one. Work diligently to prepare an excellent application package for each scholarship you plan to apply for.
Students cannot expect scholarships and financial aid to fall into their lap, so do your research and try to find scholarships that will work for you and apply to any that you could quality for. There are many places to look for scholarships. This section is designed to provide you with a starting point.
It can be very hard to find a good scholarship site but one thing you should be very careful of are sites that charge you access to search for scholarships. You should not need to pay money to find scholarships. Keep to the free resources that are just as good.
Free Scholarship Resources
- International Scholarships - they have an online database that is open to all students. You will need to register an account but once that is done (at no cost) you can have access to view and search international awards.
- IEFA - similar to the site above offering students a free resource of international scholarships for study around the world.
- Study in UK - specific to the UK, this directory provides a free scholarship search like the 2 sites above.
How to spot a scholarship scam!
Scholarship scams are all over the place, and as an international student you are a prime target for people to scam you out of money. The general rule of thumb when it comes to scholarship scams are:
- If you must pay money to get money, it might be a scam.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Spend the time, not the money
- Nobody can guarantee that you'll win a scholarship
- Legitimate scholarship foundations do not charge application fees.
- If you're suspicious of an offer, it's usually with good reason
Am I eligible for a scholarship?
Eligibility depends on the scholarship. There is no general rule of thumb on whether you are eligible for a scholarship. All scholarships vary in their eligibility requirements, some ask for a certain TOEFL score, some ask that you are from a certain country. You will need to do your own research to see if you are eligible for a scholarship.
How do I apply?
As with eligibility, there is not set rule on how to apply for scholarships. Some ask for a specially written piece of work, some ask for you to be pursuing a certain field, and some just require you to complete an application form. If you find a scholarship that you think you may be eligible for, contact the award administrator.